2000 Toyota 4Runner Change the Starter
The 2000 Toyota 4Runner is a well-known SUV was a hit for Toyota. Combining reliability, practicality, utility and style, the midsize SUV developed a loyal group of followers. But like any consumer vehicle, there are parts on the 2000 Toyota 4Runner that wear out. The starter is one such part. If you 2000 4Runner's starter goes out and you want to start it without pushing it down a hill, you'll need to replace the starter.
|Floor jack or ramps|
|Socket set and ratchet|
Change the Starter
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal, which will be the black one with a minus sign (-) near it. Raise the truck with a floor jack and lower it securely onto jack stands. Place blocks behind the rear wheels to prevent the 4Runner from rolling while you replace the starter.
- Remove the lower engine shield if your 4Runner is equipped with one. Use a socket and ratchet to remove the shield.
- Find the starter motor, which is located on the passenger side of the engine bay and bolted between the motor and the gearbox under the 4Runner.
- Remove the nut that holds the battery cable to the starter solenoid, which is the smaller round part attached to the body of the starter. Unplug the wire that clips into the solenoid by pulling it out.
- Remove the starter mounting nuts that fasten the starter to the transmission, using a socket. Support the starter while you remove the bolts. Pull the starter out of the engine bay.
- Install the new starter by bolting it onto the transmission bell housing. Ensure that the teeth from the starter line up properly with the flywheel to prevent damage to the starter. Tighten the nuts with a torque wrench to 29 foot-pounds.
- Reconnect the wire that plugs into the solenoid. Bolt the battery cable and any other wires that were removed with the battery cable back to the solenoid.
- Reinstall the engine cover if it was removed. Reconnect the negative terminal to the battery. Lower the 4Runner off of the jack stands or the ramps. Start the motor to ensure that the new starter is functioning properly.