2003 Toyota 4Runner Replace Headlight Assembly
The headlight assembly in a 2003 Toyota 4Runner is secured to the chassis with mounting screws. When your 4Runner's headlight assembly fails, it is normally because of a break in the seal that holds the outer lens assembly and the main housing together. Once this seal fails, moisture will become trapped inside the housing assembly and can cause a catastrophic failure of the headlight bulb. Replacement headlight assemblies can be purchased from most auto parts stores or directly from Toyota. Once you've purchased your new headlight assembly, you'll need to know how to install it.
Replace Headlight Assembly
- Open the hood and unscrew the screws on the top of the headlight assembly using a screwdriver.
- Slide the headlight housing forward.
- Unplug the electrical power connector from the back of the headlight ballast.
- Remove the headlight housing assembly from the chassis.
- Install the new headlight housing assembly. Make sure that you install the old headlight bulb--if it is still working--into the new headlight housing. To do this, turn the headlight bulb counterclockwise and pull it out of the housing to remove it. Then, align the tabs on the bulb with the notches cut into the housing assembly and turn the bulb clockwise to lock it into the housing.